Kitchen Remodel San Diego
View Our Third Times a Charm Project Here
The kitchen is the heart of the home and is one of our favorite spaces to remodel. It is the place where meals are created and memories are made!
Kitchens are for more than just cooking. In many cases, they are where children are encouraged to join in and learn the joy of preparing a family meal. Kitchens are not sedate and quiet rooms. They are rooms filled with energy, aroma, and texture.
They are also an awesome and exciting design opportunity to truly express yourself. With endless choices in cabinetry, finishes, appliances, tiles, countertops and lighting, the kitchen is a place to show your design aesthetic in a unique way. Ready to add a little zest to your kitchen? With your ideas and our expertise, let’s work together to give your cooking space a fabulous transformation fit just for your lifestyle!
5 Important Elements of a Kitchen Remodel
Do you want a kitchen that is equally stunning and functional? Whether you want to add a modern touch to your cooking space or preserve its classic beauty, a dramatic kitchen transformation entails quite a few important factors. If you want a successful kitchen remodel, it all boils down to the following elements:
1. The Kitchen Layout – When designing a kitchen, it’s crucial to put function first above everything else. The optimal way to do that is by adhering to the old principle of The Work Triangle which involves placing the three most utilized areas of the kitchen (the sink, the refrigerator and the cooking range) closer together. For an efficient workflow in the kitchen, these 3 areas should form a triangle, with a minimum distance of 4 feet and maximum of 9 feet between each other. Here are some more questions to answer before deciding on your kitchen layout:
• How is the traffic flow in the kitchen (especially with multiple people working at the same time)?
• How do you see your kitchen being used on a daily basis? Mostly for storing and reheating food? Or for whipping up complicated meals from scratch?
• Do you plan on using your kitchen to entertain guests? Mostly formal or informal parties?
• Do you have a separate dining room? Do you use it frequently? Are you planning on using the kitchen for dining?
2. Functional Lighting – Don’t be afraid to illuminate your kitchen with proper lighting! There are plenty of lighting options to choose from such as can lights, pendant lights (great for over the sink), down lights and under-cabinet lights. It’s totally normal to get overwhelmed with all the choices and that’s where we can help you choose the type of lighting that works best for your specific space.
3. Quality Materials – Upgrading your current cabinets, countertops, etc. is a great way to give a fresh, new look to your kitchen. It’s a must to consider the quality of any new material before committing to it though. Kitchen cabinets, for example, are available in so many materials (wood, laminate, and Thermofoil just to name a few). The best choice depends largely on your personal budget and preference. A good interior designer will be able to discuss the myriad of material options with you along with the pros and cons of each.
4. Organization & Storage – Every kitchen should have as much storage as possible. Where else will you store your massive collection of spices and cookware? There are plenty of choices when it comes to storage and organization – racks, pullout cabinets, under-the-sink organizers or our personal favorite, a walk-in pantry. The most important thing to consider though is your lifestyle – mainly how you will be utilizing each area and space. Nevertheless, we can give you ideas on the best way to maximize and organize spaces.
5. Appliances & Decors – Even if you have a good idea of which appliances and decor you’d love for your kitchen, it’s still ideal to consult with your designer. They will be able to give insights and fit each item into your new layout. You don’t necessarily have to shop for appliances and decors early into the remodeling process. Trust us, your preferences might change once the kitchen design is finalized!
Have questions? Consult with our in-house designer!
Kitchen Remodel Expert in San Diego: Sass Construction & Design
A kitchen remodeling project is a big undertaking and will require a lot of time and effort. Don’t know where to start and feel a little overwhelmed? Trust our team of professionals at Sass Construction and Design! Whether you’re doing a minor or major renovation, we’ll be there every step of the way to help and guide you until you finally get the kitchen of your dreams. Here are the reasons why we are the best choice when it comes to remodeling your kitchen in San Diego:
Kitchen Contractors and Interior Designer Under One Roof
Renovating a kitchen is not exactly as clear cut as it seems to be. There are many nuances involved such as creating a functional layout, knowing the correct dimensions and appliance guidelines, or even proper lighting placement. As such, the value of having a team of professional contractors and designers cannot be stated enough. At Sass Construction and Design, we believe that the kitchen is such an integral part of your home and therefore must be designed with both function and aesthetics in mind. Shelley, our wonderful interior designer and contractor will work with YOU to create the kitchen of your dreams!
Kitchen Redesign Made Easy
Small, narrow or odd spaces need the most accurate design help. We hate to break it to you but the kitchen is one of the worst places to make a design mistake. Even a slight miscalculation or blunder can become costly. That’s where a kitchen designer comes in! Shelley, our in-house designer, will take care of all the little details that are often overlooked. She will take all your ideas into consideration and create a layout based on your vision. The result is a stunning kitchen makeover that you will surely adore!
Creative and Cohesive Design Ideas
Thinking about adding a pop of color to your kitchen? Or maybe getting a more traditional set of backsplash? Whether you want advice on new design trends or really just want to preserve the classic beauty of your kitchen, we’ve got your back! At Sass Construction and Design, we understand that design preferences and even lifestyles are never the same for each client. At the same time, we also consider how the kitchen ties together with the home as a whole.
San-Diego Based Kitchen Renovation Services
Our team is based in sunny San Diego and has been transforming homes since the year 2000. We also serve surrounding areas around San Diego CA including Del Mar, Poway, La Jolla, Mission Bay, Mission Valley, Carmel Valley, Sorrento Mesa, Torrey Hills, and surrounding neighborhoods.
Our Favorite Kitchen Remodel Projects
Here are some of the Sass Construction and Design team’s favorite kitchen renovations:
Home By The Sea Project
This beautiful all-white kitchen is such a classic. It’s bright, clean and fits with the overall traditional theme of the house. We love the tiny details that make this kitchen stand out like those cute shaker-style cabinets!
View Home By The Sea Project Here
Third Times a Charm Project
Two words to describe this kitchen: charming and practical. The combination of white interior and light hardwood flooring creates a lovely contrast. We used durable quartzite on both the countertop and backsplash which added a really elegant touch to the kitchen.
View Third Times a Charm Project
Who says a kitchen can’t be both functional and dramatic? We created this kitchen with a bit of flair. We worked around the narrow layout and still made the work areas easy to access. The waterfall countertop added a striking contrast with the rest of the simple interior features.
Our 5-Step Kitchen Remodeling Process
Here at Sass Construction and Design, we do our best to make the kitchen remodeling process easier for our clients. Here’s a 5-step guide on the Sass Kitchen Remodel Process:
1. Layout and Design Consultation – During the planning phase, you will be consulting with Shelley, our in-house designer to discuss your vision for your kitchen. Your preferences, ideas and budget along with your kitchen’s measurements will all be taken into consideration.
2. Permits and Material Selection – Once the kitchen design and layout are finalized, we can begin securing the necessary permits and other documents needed for the remodeling process. Shelley will also help you select materials such as tiles, paint, cabinets, appliances, etc.
3. Demolition and Assessment – Demolition includes tearing down walls (if necessary), removing tiles, old appliances, cabinets, countertops and anything else that needs to be removed.
4. Repairs and Installation – If anything needs to be repaired (a leaky faucet or faulty electrical wiring), we’ll start with those problems first. Once those are resolved, we can proceed to installing backsplashes, countertops and flooring. Also included here is the installation of cabinets which is very crucial when remodeling a kitchen.
5. Finishing Touches – Final touches include installing lighting fixtures, appliances and generally making sure everything is working properly. We’ll also do a final meetup with the homeowners to make sure they are satisfied with the final result of their kitchen renovation.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is remodeling a kitchen worth it?
Renovating your kitchen to be more functional and fit to your standard or way of living is always worth it. Coming home to a kitchen that you enjoy and love is definitely worth it! If you’re planning on selling your home, a kitchen remodel is a great way to appeal to potential homeowners with a possible ROI of between 50% to 55%.
What is the most expensive part of a kitchen remodel?
The most expensive part of a kitchen remodel is usually the cabinets which can cost between $15,000 to $30,000. Appliances can also be costly depending on the brand but range between $7,000 to $10,000. Repairs (plumbing, subfloor, electrical) are the next greatest expense ranging around $5,000 to $10,000.
Where do I start with a kitchen remodel?
We recommend starting with a list of your priorities and preferences then consulting with a professional for expert advice on layout, measurements and functional design. A functional kitchen always starts with a good design and only a reliable designer with experience can help you create one. Have any questions? We’re just an email away.
How many cabinets do you need in a kitchen? It’s best to consider your lifestyle when adding in cabinets during your remodel. How big is your family? What is your grocery shopping habit? A kitchen designer will be able to help you figure out just how many cabinets work best for your cooking habits and lifestyle.
What is the most efficient kitchen layout? There are five basic kitchen layouts: L-Shape, U-Shape, One-Wall, Galley and G-Shape. The best layout depends upon the space and dimensions of your current kitchen. We also recommend considering the “Work Triangle” before deciding on a kitchen layout.